Sunday, February 28, 2010

Handicapped Through Technology

Many people believe that the advancements in technology have positive effects on society. However, the advancements in technology are actually handicapping the new generation in many ways.
My generation and the youth that follow my generation depend on technology to guide and live our lives. The use of computers, cell phones, ipods, GPS systems, televisions and other devices are crippling my generation and I from learning for ourselves like our parents and grandparents were forced to do. For example, I use my GPS system to go to the same church every Sunday. But one Sunday I left it in my room and I could not trust my own memory to direct me to church. I was so dependent on my GPS getting me to church that this one time I became handicapped in my own ability to use my brain.
Even though advancements in technology have allowed my generation to receive, remember, and organize information in a more concise manner, we are too dependent on technology. It is my fear that my generation will not have the wise guidance and knowledge of our parents because we have been raised by technology. Therefore, it is our responsibility to allow technology to be secondary to old fashion way of learning so we will not be handicapped and controlled by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment